Race Distances Half Iron
Swim 1.2 miles - Bike 56 miles - Run 13.1 miles
(Aquabike has no run)
Saturday, September 21, 2013 Packet Pickup
- 11:00am - 4:00pm Mandatory packet pickup, at Rocketts Landing down below the Boathouse Restaurant steps on the tent pad. Racers must bring a photo ID. NO ID, NO RACE, NO EXCEPTIONS. USAT members must also bring their valid USAT card. Racers may only pick up their own packet. This includes relay teams. BYOB = bring your own bag for your #,shirt, swag (this is a VAGreen event!)
- 3:30pm - 4:30pm Pre-race briefing by the river below the Boathouse Restaurant by packet pick up tent
Sunday, September 22, 2013
- 5:30am Transition opens
- 5:30am - 6:00am Pre-approved Race Day Packet Pickup. Racers must bring a photo ID. NO ID, NO RACE, NO EXCEPTIONS. USAT members must also bring their valid USAT card. Racers may only pick up their own packet. email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6:15am - 6:45am Swim Warm-ups
- 6:45am Transition closes
- 6:45am Swim wave start formation
- 7:00am Race Start wave 1
- 7:05am wave 2
- 7:10am wave 3 ( wave listings below)
- 7:28am first swimmer out
- 8:20am swim cut off, last swimmer must be out
- 9:30am first biker in & onto run course
- 11:00am ish, 1st finisher!
- 11:00am M Bistro post race food served and sold
- 2:00pm Awards Presentation & post race meal catered on the lower river level
- 3:10 Course closes 8 hours from last swim wave start
Race Amenities included in your entry
- Technical shirt - gender specific
- Finisher medals
- Hat or visor by Headsweats
- Accurate swim, bike and run splits with live race day tracking from Rev3 timing
- 2 Gatorade bottle handoffs on bike and finish, run aid stations on course
- Post race food, band, & party
- Race photos from Competition Imaging
- Race swim cap
The registration fees below do not include online processing charges or the $12 USAT membership fee. All participants must have a USAT membership license or must purchase a $12 one day USAT insurance policy, this may be purchased along with registration or at packet pickup. Purchase an annual USAT license.
To qualify for the college student discount, you must be currently enrolled as a full time student and able to show your student ID at packet pick-up. The collegiate entrants will be moved into age group categories.
Walk up registrations, if available, must be paid by cash or check. No credit cards will be accepted. REGISTER AGE AS OF December 31 current year.
An online processing fee of 5% + $1 will be applied by RaceIt at checkout.
No Shirt pricing option
New for 2013 RMS is giving athletes a no shirt option where you can opt out of receiving the shirt and save $10. The shirt for Richmond Rox will be soft high end technical. Race shirts may or may not be for sale during race weekend at full retail of $20. Shirt quantities ordered will be from registration only, you may add a shirt to your cart after you have registered if it is before the order deadline one week prior to race day.
||Nov 15 - Dec 31
||Jan 1 - July 26
July 27 - Sept 18
Online reg closed
Sept 21 - Race Day
8 hour cut off time will be enforced
There are no refunds for any reason. You may do a one time transfer of your registration to a future race within 1 year or to another racer. A $15 fee along with any difference in registration costs will be charged to transfer. The deadline for transfers is 30 days out from race day. No transfers will be accepted after this date. All racer swag orders are due by this date.
You may also choose a one time deferral for your registration to the same event next year . A $15 fee along with any difference in registration costs will be charged to defer. The deadline for deferrals is 30 days out from race day. No deferrals will be accepted after this date.
To update/change your registration go to the RMS race calendar page and click on the UPDATE INFO button under the appropriate race. Enter your confirmation # and DOB, then click the desired option.
Wetsuits will only be allowed if the water temperature is below 78.0 degrees Fahrenheit. If the water temperature exceeds 78.0 degrees but is less than 84.0 degrees, an athlete may wear a wetsuit but WILL BE INELIGIBLE for awards and national ranking consideration. If the water temperature is 84.0 degrees or higher, the use of wetsuits is strictly prohibited. James River water temperatures can range anywhere from 75.0 degres to 80.0 degrees this time of year. This course had a water temperature of 77 degrees Fahrenheit last year (2012) so wetsuits were legal to use..
Swim heats are 5 minutes apart. The swim cutoff time is 70 minutes.
- Wave 1 yellow
- Wave 2 white
- Wave 3 pink
Please note the race director reserves the right to add or delete the number of awards in age group categories prior to race day based on registrants in that category 2 weeks prior to race day. Awards will not be mailed out.
- Top 3 overall male and female
- Age groups (3 deep) male and female: 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59 60-64, 65-69, 70 and over
- Top 3 Clydesdales Males 220+ lbs
- Top 3 Athenas Females 165+ lbs
- Top 3 Aquabike male and female
- Top Relay all women & Top Relay Co-ed/male
- Great Ball of Fire Award - goes to the most spirited individual or team at the race
- This is a USAT Sanctioned race. Learn More »
- Drafting is prohibited and penalties will be handed out.
- The race will go on rain or shine.
- Timing will be done by Revolution3 Timing.
- The race director reserves the right to alter the event for any reason.